Business

Monday 10 June 2013

Share your coding story. - GameDev.net

| |
I started coding when I was 11 an a wire wrap computer my dad built that only had a calculator screen. We just had a keypad an had to code in machine language(there wasn't even assembly language on this z80 computer- all hex) Later I received a Timex Sinclair 1000 to program on and it had a membrane keyboard that hurt my fingers after hours of programming so I bought a keyboard from Radio Shack, modified its circuitry to make it compatible and screwed it and the motherboard to some plywood and soldered them together. At school, we used Apple IIs and I always wowed my teachers. A friend in my electronics class loaned me his Apple IIc and I coded on that quit a bit all BASIC. One Christmas, I received an Atari 800lx which I coded like a fiend on mostly BASIC and some Assembly because I had a cartridge for that!
Share your coding story.
GameDev.net
I promptly earned an Associate's Degree in computer science(the college paid me to tutor Visual Basic) and became an A+ Certified computer repair technician.
I then got away from computers for a long time- like 10 years. I got back in to them in 1999 when I first got on the internet. I promptly earned an Associate's Degree in computer science(the college paid me to tutor Visual Basic) and became an A+ Certified computer repair technician. I struck out on my own and have been self employed for 8 years now. Most of my coding has been geared toward robotics and interfacing the real world though I have accomplished mostly nothing in that endeavour other than exposure to several languages. I have dabbled in the following languages in order of time used each: Basic, Visual Basic, Python, B4A, C, WXEuphoria, PHP, java, C++.

2010 I was heavy into Python and thereafter made the transition over to Linux where I ported several of my VB and Python programs over to C. Most of that was just playing but some things have the potential to be pretty useful. I wrote a program that read the webcam, picks out the edges on the image and differentiates the vertical lines from everything else(robot eyes that can see doorways and wall edges) in both VB and C(actually this was a mixture of Linux command line programming and my C code and a few utilities- I like to tech chain stuff together).

Last year I wrote FlaTank(based on a game I wrote in college in VB and Atari's Combat and Bally's Tron tank game) for Android and released it on BlackBerry PlayBook also. Now I have 30 apps on BB(I wrote or ported these for the port a thons for a paltry $3000)- some useless and some excellent and I have ~20 published on Google Play. It's finally starting to pay a little.

I'm currently learning HTML5 and SEO and am working on a nongame app which I will keep to myself for the time being.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Business

Tech

chikita

new amazon

tech business

Powered by Blogger.